Windows Update is a free tool that allows you to search for device drivers and updates. It also helps keep your computer up-to-date by installing new drivers and software. However, sometimes it can be too much of a good thing, especially if you’re experiencing problems with your PC.
Windows 7 and 10 both have a device drivers option in the windows update settings. This is used to disable searching windows update for device drivers.
When it comes to installing drivers, Windows 7 and 10 are different. Bluetooth adapters must develop drivers for specific laptop and computer models.
In contrast to DELL, HP, and Samsung, Acer will have its own set of drivers.
Generic Microsoft Drivers
Microsoft generic drivers for Windows may be installed.
Also see: CCleaner – The Best Windows 10 is the latest version of Microsoft’s operating is the latest version of Microsoft’s operating is the latest version of Microsoft’s operating Driver Update Utility
Many devices, including as graphic hardware, sound devices, keyboards, mouse, displays, and others, are supported by the current stable version of Windows 10.
Automatic Driver Update in Windows 7
Windows 7 is still in its infancy when it comes to installing the proper device drivers. Even if any driver software is installed, Windows Updates tries to update them as soon as possible.
Also check out our guide on how to get AMD HDMI and Audio drivers for Windows 10.
Windows Updates, as we all know, take a long time to install on Windows 7.
A whirling symbol indicates that Windows 7 is looking for the most recent driver updates.
This is a lengthy procedure. The windows update is still spinning after installing the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
Related: 6 Fixes for Realtek Audio Driver Issues in Windows 10 and Windows 7
Updates for Windows 10 Drivers
On the other hand, Windows 10’s update search is fast and easy to use.
For certain older devices and unsupported generic drivers, we must manually install driver software in Windows 7 and Windows 10.
This version is only compatible with a limited number of devices.
More See How to Fix Realtek Audio Driver Issues on Windows 10 for more information.
Given the aforementioned issues, we must stop automatic driver updates for certain devices. We’ll go through the stages of doing this job in this tutorial.
How can I disable automatic driver updates in Windows 10?
5 minutes are required.
When you connect your computer for the first time, Windows recommends that you search for device drivers automatically. However, with Windows 7, it is possible to become stuck when looking for them. In such situations, one of the four choices is available to you.
- In the Windows 7 search box, type “system.”
- On the left pane, choose “Advanced system settings.”
- The windows for System Properties appear.
Select the Hardware tab from the drop-down menu.
- Go to Device Installation Settings and choose it.
- Disable the settings for automatic driver updates.
The following message appears in a pop-up window: “Do you want Windows to download driver software and realistic icons for your devices?”
- Choose “No, let me decide what to do.”
- “Never install driver software from Windows Update” is selected.
It will stop Windows from looking for driver upgrades.
- Select Start > Settings > System > About from the Start menu.
- Select Advanced System Settings from the right-hand menu.
- The window for System Properties will appear.
- Select Hardware > Device Installation Settings from the drop-down menu.
- The message – Do you wish to automatically download manufacturer’s applications and custom icons available for your device? – appears in the next window.
- No. should be selected.
It will disable Windows Update’s automatic driver downloads.
However, as we can see, Windows 10 is the fastest and most effective at upgrading the newest drivers. As a result, if your hardware setup is sufficient, the suggested choice may be ignored.
How Do I Disable Automatic Driver Updates Using Group Policy?
- By hitting the Win + R keys, open the Run dialog box and type gpedt.msc.
- The Local Group Policy Editor window will appear. It’d be ideal if you were a system administrator.
- Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Driver Installation is the route to take.
- On the right pane, choose the View by Standard option.
- Turn off Windows Update device driver search popup by double-clicking the item.
- Select “Disabled” from the drop-down menu.
The procedure is the same as before.
Using the registry, disable Windows Update from looking for device drivers.
In the Search programs and files box, type regedit.
The Registry Editor window will appear.
Go down the next route. – HKEY LOCAL MACHINE –> SOFTWARE –> Microsoft –> Windows –> CurrentVersion –> DriverSearching – HKEY LOCAL MACHINE –> SOFTWARE –> Microsoft –> Windows –> CurrentVersion –> DriverSearching
Set the value of SearchOrderConfig to 3.
Yes, do this automatically if SearchOrderConfig 0 = Yes, do this automatically if SearchOrderConfig 0 = Yes, do
1 = No, leave it up to me to decide; always install the best.
2 = No, leave it up to me to decide what to do, Download and install driver software from the Windows Update website.
3 = No, leave it to me to decide, and never install driver software from Windows.
If it doesn’t work, try HKLM:SOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionDevice Metadata instead.
PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork = 1 PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork = 1
The procedure is the same. The SearchOrderConfig may be set to 1.
Before it attempts the driver update from the Microsoft site, this option will ask you what you want to do.
Since Windows 10 is capable of identifying the proper drivers for the majority of your devices, you should be OK. It shouldn’t be too difficult.
The Windows Update for Device Drivers is a feature in Windows 7 and 10 that checks for device drivers. If you want to disable the feature, Microsoft has instructions on how to do so. Reference: checking windows update when adding printer windows 10.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I turn off Windows Update driver searching?
To turn off Windows Update driver searching, go to Control Panel and then click on Hardware and Sound. Click on Device Installation Settings, and uncheck the box that says Search for drivers online.
How do I stop Windows Update from updating a specific driver Windows 10?
You can turn off automatic updates through the Windows update settings.
How do I stop Windows 7 from trying to update to Windows 10?
You can use the Group Policy Editor to disable Windows 10 updates.
- enable or disable automatic driver updates on windows 7
- policy has been set to prevent searching windows update for drivers
- disable windows 10 automatic drivers
- disable automatic driver installation windows 10 group policy
- never install driver software from windows update windows 10